Dad’s Pancakes

My dad passed away in 1998 and I do not believe anyone who knew him will ever recover from the loss. Nothing fills that void but I have found that, somehow, his pancakes can help a little. Thankfully I acquired some of his recipes before his earthly departure and found time (a decade ago) to put them into The Dad-Blasted Walker Family Cookbook which I shared with siblings and a few other persistent relations and friends. I am still working on my own copy; the laser-engraved aluminum cover currently sits unused in a box. Here’s the page with the recipe, in case you need some comfort food (for breakfast or dinner!) in the midst of this cold winter.


2 comments:

C Dub said...

During the summer following my freshman year of high school, Dad would get up with me at five o'clock in the morning and cook me breakfast. I would then get on my bike and ride 10 miles to move 6 or eight lines of irrigation pipe. I grew very tired of the spicy eggs but there was no way I was going to complain given his sacrifice. As for his pancakes, I can no longer eat pancakes unless I have osterized peaches or apricots on them. Thanks for doing all the work on The Dadblasted Walker Family Cookbook. It is one of my dearest treasures.

Arthur said...

I remember Grandpa making pancakes in... American Falls? He would throw them at us from the plate... with every projectile eliciting a storm of flailing limbs. Poor Gus took one to the noggin'.