Potential

Every time I look at this picture, I peer into the face of a little boy with his whole life ahead of him. He could be an actor, a police officer, an athlete, a college professor, a comedian, a writer, anything he set his mind to be. I feel some regret as I think of a more focused life I could have created. Sometimes I still contemplate being a fireman. That last thought alone might explain why that did not happen.

I was in the high school choir, part of the bass section. I sang only one solo; the rest of the time I performed in the background. I played leads in a few high school plays but mostly because I could memorize the longer lines. I never made the basketball team, but made it as a defensive lineman on the worst football team you can imagine. (I started off on offense but after discovering how bad it was, switched over so I could play against those guys in practice.)

I’ve always been mediocre at just about everything I’ve tried, never focused, never really outstanding.
I guess the point here is back in the picture. If you look even closer at the little boy in the picture, his big sister is holding his hand. The people who matter most are there for me when I need them.
I don’t need a big audience to be a success. I may be “small” but I’ve got family, both then and now. And that kind of support can’t be beat.

0 comments: