A Challenge, A Contusion, A Little Brain Confusion

So I was going up for a shot last week and a guy raked me across the right side of my head (and eye). A little bit later in the game, I was defending him on a breakaway at the other end of the court. As he dribbled toward me I could tell he had decided not to take a jump shot but to approach the basket and try to get a lay-in. Over the top of me. Well, that wasn’t going to happen. I wasn’t really set on revenge but I was determined that he would not score on me, especially after the physical play earlier.

So he jumped and I jumped. I was going for the ball, and think I got some, but unfortunately his head and my elbow also met with some force (as evidenced by the nasty contusion pictured here). I guess I should have gone for something softer. I just didn't really have time to aim.

This exchange reminds me of a time when I was goofing with friends at the church in American Falls. So after a lot of running around, I had one hand on the doorknob that led from the kitchen to outside and the other hand held a squirt gun aimed at my buddy Brad’s face. He gave me fair warning, at least, ”Walker, if you squirt me with that, I am going to break your head,” but you know what you have to do if someone puts up that kind of challenge, especially if you are a a male teenager. I got two squirts off before he started his charge across the room.

As I twisted to get the door open, I realized, too late, that it was locked. I got it unlocked and was halfway out before I felt his fist smack into the back of my head. I staggered, then turned. Brad was holding his wrist and grimacing. It seemed he was hurting at least as much as I was, and maybe more. In the end, my head hurt for a few days. But he was wearing a cast for a long while, having broken several bones in his forearm.

Not sure what kind of macho madness causes us to stop thinking when a peer throws up a physical challenge. There’s a lesson somewhere in these events; somehow I think I am yet to learn from it in a practical way.

6 comments:

Lissa said...

Ouch! That looks like it needs some arnica gel! What does the other guy look like?

C Dub said...

I'm jealous. I haven't had battle marks like that for a while. As for as the lesson, I can only look to Teddy Roosevelt's famous speech in Paris. And is that a Celtics wrist band...?!?!?!? Where is mine...?

Gus and Carolee Drake said...

Be careful... my brothers elbow went through my sisters forehead and she had to have a lot of stitches. Then again he had super sharp elbows.

TM3 said...

Not a Celtics band, sadly, but one that BYU issues so I can go play in the Fieldhouse. (I'll be tying it into my Icons tomorrow; I skipped an eyelet and the laces are just right that way.)

But I did get the new hat with an embossed Celtics logo on it. Wasn't so lucky last night, maybe because I was wearing it like a dirtbag.

walkelo said...

I take it he did not complete the layup?

TM3 said...

Sadly his shot did not have an upward arc and fell short. Also he didn't show up for ball on Monday so I don't know how his noggin fared.